Friday, January 6, 2012

This blog has no pictures.

So, after some prodding here I sit watching Diego with Captain America (who from time to time may also be referred to as Hulk...)  I have been planning on starting this blog for um...ever now, but I have avoided it knowing that 1) I will become addicted to it 2) I don't have an amazing Nikon camera to take pictures with. When I go to a blog I expect there to be amazing photos to look at.  If there aren't pictures, I leave.  I'm planning on people stopping by and saying to themselves "Oh, amateur...no pictures. You might as well shut down, loser".  If you stay, I will be impressed, and I will say it now, thanks.  You are awesome.  Now, onto my other points... 3) I don't really have any other points but I think every argument needs at least three points.  Really my true avoidance was that we don't have a good camera.  But oh well.  We will all just have to suffer through ugly/no pictures.

As some of you (anyone...Bueller? Bueller?) may know, we decided to go gluten-free on January 1st.  We had been contemplating it for a while, but we just hadn't taken the dive.  Whelp, we jumped in cannon-balled in and so far no one has died.  It was quite the shock when we found that xanthan gum costs between $10-$12 for a little ole bag.  But, I have used it in every meal I have made so far, so it is obviously a necessary evil.  I am still horribly confused about why such and such flour is necessary for this, and why this recipe calls for this flour and not that one and why this is potato flour and not potato starch....whoa dude.  But, I guess you will never learn anything until you just try, and you won't figure it out until you ask the questions and make the mistakes.

I did have my proud moments, this week, though.  I successfully made Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas and adapted my favorite (and quite famous) chocolate chip cookies to be gluten-free.  I think that was what I was most proud of!  You can't even tell the difference in taste, which is what I was terrified of.  I really only noticed a difference in the batter consistency while I was mixing it (so much more sticky...my mixer was even growling a little at the thick/sticky batter.  I only have a hand mixer....I'm not so fortunate to have a Kitchen Aid, but if I did I would have this baby!)

Chocolate Chip Cookies

3/4 C butter, softened (the real stuff...I prefer salted, but you use whatever you like)
1/4 C butter flavor shortening
1 C packed light brown sugar
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla  *edit: I just found out (1/6/2011) that vanilla needs to be GF...oops.  Check that next time, yo!*

2 C all purpose gluten-free flour mix
1/2 C sweet white sorghum flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt

One bag chocolate chips...or more :)

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and shortening together in a large bowl. Add in brown sugar and granulated sugar and beat until well combined.  Beat in the eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flours, xanthan gum, baking soda and salt.  Add to wet mixture one half at a time and beat well after each addition.  You may need to mix with a spoon if it is too thick towards the end.

Mix in the chocolate chips with a spoon.

Spoon by the tablespoon onto cookie sheets and bake 9 minutes.  No more.  Sometimes 8 minutes, 30 seconds is okay, but 9 minutes is the complete maximum.  If you go beyond this, Thor will smack you down with his giant hammer and I am not kidding.  You will regret it.  The cookies won't look set in the middle, but they will continue to cook a bit as you let them cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a cooling rack.

They will be magically delicious and chewy. Your gluten-free home will sing your praises. Also...your non-GF friends will never even know.  Never.  Unless you tell them, of course....
  
Okay.  Little Transformer and Mr. Yeti are home so that is all for now.  I will be back with more adventures another day...

------
edit 1/6/2011

If all you non-GF friends would like to make these cookies, you can!  Just trade out the flours and xanthan gum for 2 1/2 C flour and make the rest of the recipe as written.  And, again, I stress 9 minutes for your baking time :)  nom nom nom.....

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment