Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Quest for Carbs Might Kill Me

Mr. Yeti isn't home and both of the boys are in bed.  Silence.  It is such a strange thing when you are used to screaming, and yelling, a decent amount of crying, then more screaming, a blast of laughter, more screaming...you get the point.  My house is filled with more noise than I know what to do with, and I consider us to be a "quiet" family.  So, a night like this is odd.

Haven't done much in the way of experimenting this week.  We did make pizza and decided that we don't like the Bob's Red Mill crust, but the Gluten Free Pantry mix was...alright.  We are still on the lookout for better though.  This is an issue for self-proclaimed "foodies" who go gluten-free because we know what we like. When you are used to making your own crust (a very glutinous one at that - we literally added vital wheat gluten to the dough) this is a problem.  I'm scouring websites and blogs alike to find a good recipe or pre-made crust that seems like it might work out.  Same goes for hot dog buns.  The ones that have had the highest ratings from a 'local' (Colorado Springs) bakery weren't getting rave reviews here.  I know that bread is always the hardest thing to adapt to, and that it is just so different from what we are used to...but seriously.  This is something that I am bound and determined to find and/or master.  The perfectionist in me just can't let it die.

I suppose I need to explain a little further here.  We like good, hearty bread.  I will not feed my kids puffy, bleached, white Wonder bread, tortillas, blah blah.  Bleached flour = death.  From the time they could eat bread, they have had whole wheat bread, with as much stuff in it as I could get (it has been getting Mr. Yeti on the train that has been tough!)  My Our thoughts have always been that if they are raised with it, they will never know the difference.  And, to be honest, they prefer the "brown bread" - hooray!  So, sandwich bread hasn't been too much of an issue because many of them are denser, heavier breads.  It is some of the breads that we don't eat on a daily basis that we are struggling with.  So...let the quest continue...

Anywho...Onto a bread that is way more fun!  By request - of my own and from my Aunt Lorri (great minds think alike - even across state lines) I will be making pretzels tomorrow.  I unfortunately haven't found a good hard pretzel recipe at this point, but I am going to try soft ones for the first time ever.  Boiling them and all...   I sure hope they work out because they are the *special treat* for Friday Fort Night and savory snacks may forever be forbidden if I mess this up....
Little Transformer already rolled his eyes at me and told me, "No...I need chocolate chip cookies. Not pretzels because I don't like them."  Oh well.  I like them.  A lot.  Especially with cheese.

I hope it goes off without a hitch.  I will hopefully be baking some bread this weekend because I will need some for this week.  Anyone have some recommendations of some carb-filled goodness?

And just a little FYI about carb-filled goodness.  Today (January 19) is National Popcorn Day.  So go eat some popcorn.  YUM.  I stinking love popcorn.  Love it.  I can eat an entire bag by myself.  My little Captain America and I share a bag quite often.  It is like a date.  I wish I had known earlier in the day about this so that we'd have had a little snuggle and some "pop'own".  Maybe tomorrow :)

Okay, Talk soon!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment